Thursday, June 19, 2014

     So, I was ten years old, and I saw a commercial for 'Star Wars' at around 2:30 in the afternoon.
     My jaw dropped, watching a droid get sucked up into a jawa land transport.
     I was really excited.  I wanted to see this  movie.
     Then my brothers saw the commercial, and we all wanted to see this movie. 
     We got to see it, with my father talking to management to get us into a crowded theater.
     We saw it, and it was great.
     A week or two went by, and we saw it again.  And again.
     After three or four times, that was enough.
     Eventually, the version with new titles proclaiming it to be 'Episode IV' came out.  We had to see it again, because, then we could think about how there were going to be nine movies, as we read in the movie magazines.
     'Empire' came out, and we watched that again and again.  I did not know if Darth Vader was bullsh***ing Luke.  An evil person would lie.  Then, I was really uncomfortable with the ending.
     'Return' came out, and I was excited to see it based on the commercials.  It looked awesome, and better than anything I had ever seen.
     Then halfway through the movie, I began to be disappointed somehow, what with teddy bears.  It just wasn't as good as 'Empire'.
     So, after several viewings of 'Return'...I was done with Star Wars, considering that I had outgrown it.
     I got into Dungeons & Dragons.  Star Wars came out with their version, and I would have bought the book if I had the money.
     Then it was the ten year anniversary of Episode IV, and I didn't care all that much.  I would rather have had another movie.  I did not know what they were waiting for.  Lucas had the whole world hanging, instead providing us with f***ing 'Howard The Duck' and f***ing 'Willow'.
     Dark Horse was making Star Wars comic books.  I had collected the Marvel comics of Star Wars, but they were pretty bad.  By then, I was kind of done with comic books, too.
     Then there were the limited edition releases of Star Wars in the theaters with some new digital stuff added, which were cool to see, but they really didn't expand my idea of The Star Wars Universe much.  I wanted to learne, but there was not much content out there.
     And Episode I came out, and the excitement level was very high, and within five minutes, people deflated like a balloon losing air.  You could feel this in the theater.  We all knew that the whole rest of the movie was going to be pretty bad. 
     'The Matrix' was a much cooler movie.
     Episode II came out, and hopes were higher, and it was a better movie.
     Episode III was pretty dark, and pretty much a joyless affair.

     Now I listen to Star Wars audiobooks on youtube, and I am pretty happy.

     I can't depend on Lucas to make a good Star Wars movie.  Somebody else has to do it.

     * * * * *

     Some black guy said, "IT'S STAR WARS BIG!"

     I love the phrase, because no matter what stupid hit song comes out or movie, it is not going to be as big as Star Wars.

     What other franchise is there where the original actors can come back to reprise their roles thirty-two years later?
     Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford will be in Episode VII.

No comments:

Post a Comment